- Lead, and manage the finance department team.
- Manage all financial operations, including financial planning, budgeting, managing cash flow, completing the financial analysis, reporting, documenting, and archiving.
- Develop NVNV’s financial policy and ensure the policy’s proper implementation.
- Develop NVNV’s financial policy that is compatible with the organization’s size and requirements of various parties (donors, auditors, governmental agencies, and international financial standards), and ensure the policy’s proper implementation.
- Ensure all financial tasks, processes and systems are compliant to NVNV’s financial systems, host government requirements, and donors’ requirements.
- To lead, manage, direct, and develop the finance team based in Erbil and Syria.
- Recruit, hire, supervise, performance manage, motivate, and appraise the team members to deliver the department goals and objectives of ensuring quality implementation of financial policies and operations.
- Set employees’ performance goals that are derived from the department’s KPIs.
- Provide necessary coaching to employees during the performance cycle.
- Evaluate/appraise the employee’s performance periodically.
- Set the employee’s development plans at the end of the performance cycle.
- Provide guidance on financial approaches and standards and lead the team’s capacity development.
- Provide all necessary support to the finance department team and help resolve all issues and conflicts that may arise because of the day-to-day operations.
- Manage meetings with department staff to distribute monthly tasks.
- Prepare the financial plan and master budget for the organization
- Review and approve all contracts from a financial point of view.
- Review and approve all accruals and/or payments, their due dates, and supporting documents.
- Review and approve all payments and coordinate them with the bank (bank transfer, cash, or bank instructions).
- Review and approve all journal entries in the accounting system (QuickBooks).
- Review and approve all transaction lists, financial reports, and payment requests which are prepared by the accountant and financial officer before submitting them to the donors.
- Prepare financial reports and payment requests to donors as necessary. Prepare and develop all financial reports which reflect the financial situation and figures of the organization and provide it to the CEO. (Update of the current financial status of the organization)
- Send the salary amounts for registered employees to the Financial Advisor and get the amounts on the payroll and coordinate their payment with the bank.
- Review and approve bank and cash reconciliations.
- Follow up with the staff to maintain correct, accurate, and well-documented archives (hard and soft copies).
- Follow up on all staff salaries and allocate permanent and temporary staff salaries to various projects.
- Prepare staff vs. projects allocation matrix for permanent and project staff.
- Ensure documents are maintained, sorted, and archived as mentioned in NVNV policies and agreements.
- Review and approve all NVNV employees’ monthly hours and ensure accuracy for cost allocation.
- Develop NVNV financial systems and ensure their compliance with donor’s requirements.
- Ensure compliance with government requirements (inform the related authorities about any new transfer amount to our bank, close any payment, withdraw amounts from the bank, and/or give the documents to a legal accountant).
- Develop the required payment modalities which are required to support NVNV operations.
- Participate actively in SMT meetings, activities, and discussions.
- Meet the requirements of auditors for any project and follow up with them until the report is issued.
- Represent NVNV and the financial department and ensure effective participation in meetings and workshops with partners, donors, and other parties.
Note: the above-mentioned key responsibilities/accountabilities are illustrative ones. Other future responsibilities/accountability may be assigned to the job depending on the department's organizational chart.
- BA degree in Accounting, Financial Management (or any other equivalent field)
- A minimum of 5 years experience in the field of financial management, with the last two years in a similar managerial position.
- Verified professional work experience in a non-profit organization.
- Advanced skills in the English language.
- Master’s degree in accounting, Financial Management (or any other equivalent field)
- Experience in Iraq’s financial systems and requirements.
- Verified experience in humanitarian work and principles.
- Verified experience in dealing with donors’ policies, procedures, requirements, and compliance.
- Advanced knowledge of general entries
- Advanced knowledge in building & maintaining charts of accounts
- Advanced knowledge in preparing financial reports
- Advanced knowledge in financial report analysis
- Advanced knowledge of budgeting
- Advanced knowledge in financial records management
- Advanced knowledge in the bank and cash reconciliation
- Advanced knowledge of remote management tools and techniques.
- advanced knowledge in building and developing accounting and financial systems
- Advanced knowledge in documenting & archiving financial documents
- Advanced knowledge in building and developing financial supporting documents
- Advanced knowledge in cash management
- advanced knowledge in payroll management
- Advanced skills in MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint)
- Advanced knowledge of auditing principles and requirements.
2. Core Competencies (CC):
- Stakeholder Orientation.
- Planning and organizing
- Commitment to Continuous Learning
- Technological Awareness
3. Supervisory & Managerial Competencies (SMC):
- Empowering others
- Managing performance
- Building trust
- Judgment/decision making
Statements in this Job Description are intended to reflect, in general, the duties and responsibilities of the position, but are not to bet interpreted as totally inclusive.